Finding Nemo and The East Australian Current



I was watching Finding Nemo the musical the other day at Animal Kingdom and loved the part when they brought out the huge sea turtle Crush.  They talked about the East Australian Current and so I looked it up on wiki.  Here is the interesting information below...

The East Australian Current (EAC) is an ocean current that moves warm water in a counterclockwise fashion down the east coast of Australia.[1] It is the largest ocean current close to the shores of Australia. Its source is the tropical Coral Sea off the north-east coast of Australia.[2] It can reach speeds of up to 7 knots in some of the shallower waters along the Australian continental shelf, but is generally measured at 2 or 3 knots. The EAC results in a current vortex in the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand. The EAC also acts to transport tropical marine fauna to habitats in sub-tropical regions along the south east Australian coast.

In the 2003 animated Disney / Pixar film Finding Nemo, the EAC is portrayed as a superhighway that fish and sea turtles use to travel down the east coast of Australia. The characters Marlin and Dory join a group of sea turtles, including Crush and his son Squirt in using the EAC to help them travel to Sydney Harbour so they can rescue Marlin's son, Nemo. The basic premise of this storyline is correct. Every summer, thousands of fish are swept from the Great Barrier Reef to Sydney Harbor and further south.

I thought I had bought the show for my kids as I'd like to watch it again.  I can't seem to find it so I'll have to go to Walmart and get another copy. Finding Nemo (2-Disc) (Full Frame, Widescreen, Collector's Edition) I wonder is there a Walmart in Australia? Couldn't find any search indicating it was.  My friends say they don't have any big department stores like we do, no Sears, JCPenny's, Macy's or Dillards.   I'll have to look up Malls in Australia next and see what shopping they do have:) 
0 Responses
abcs